Author(s): Mehmet YAVUZ
A mosque and a fountain located at the Gültepe (Kefeli) Village of Sürmene Town are in fact originally represent two remaining buildings of a complex which once also included two other building such a Medrese and a sübyan mektebi. The mosque with rectangular ground plan and a hipped wooden roof was evidently the main structure of the complex which might have been built before 1867. The main walls of the mosque were built of stone with horizontal timbers dividing the exterior to give an impression that was that it was storey high. The interior of the mosque bears original traces of painted decoration of symbolic motives. The fountain (ad?rvan) built of fine cutstones is located to the South of the mosque. The marble inscription on the fountain with a date of 1890 bears the tughra of the Ottoman sultan Abdulhamid II. Although both of these structures display local features in terms of architecture and decoration, they represent small scale and modest adaptation built within the wider Ottoman complex building tradition. This in turn indicates that the Ottoman notion of complex building was spread to the msot distant parts of Anatolia.