Author(s): Yrd. DoĆ§. Dr. HĆ¼seyin MUMAL, Ar. GĆ¶r. Mustafa ĆETNASLAN
The Kapi Mosque was originally built by Pir Husein Chelebi, the Head of the Konya Mevlevi Lodge who was one of Mevlana’s grandsons, in 1658. This first mosque, which had become ruined by 1811, was renovated by Abdurrahman Effendi, also known as Kose Mufti of Esenler. However, this building was totally burned in the fire that destroyed Downtown Konya in 1867. After this date, the present day mosque of stone material was built in a period of almost two years. The Kapi Mosque was built from stone in a commercial area without a garden and it was integrated into the commercial district by building 8 shops on the underground floor on the northern side. Thus, it is one of the key elements of downtown Konya and the city skyline together with the Serafeddin, Sultan Selim and Aziziye Mosques. The present study investigated the construction process of the Kapi mosque after the fire in 1867. In this framework, firstly, the discovery book, which was arranged after the fire, was examined and assessments were made about the material to be used in the construction and their cost. The present state of the building and its plan and decorative properties were dealt with in a separate section. In the last section of the study, a general assessment was made in accordance with its plan, which was drawn in 1867, and the data in the discovery book.