Author(s): Naz?m BERATLI
Till to the end of the Ottoman times of Cyprus, nursery and midwifery services were performing by the old people of the population with traditional knowledge which was taught by older people . Modern education of the nursery and midwifery, had begun at the very earliy times of the British administration by the curses to the native candidates in the Larnaka Hospital by the general practitioner of the hospital. Early 1890’s when the General Hospital of the Nicosia was built, nursery courses were transported to the capital of the island. Profesional nursry services had performed by the edecuated nurses which were appointed from England by the Colonial Nursery Services. During 1930, British Colonyal authorities, decided to sent two Cypriot student to the Beirouth American University, to have a scientific education on the science of Nursery. After their graduantion and appoitment to the health services in 1935, the Nursery Courses were transformed to a Nursery School under the supervision of the health authority of the Colony. During the year 1946, WHO has recognized the school as an official Nursery school. After the conflict between two peoples of the island which arised in 1964, even the trainig school has diveded between the both sides of the island like all other subjects! From 2006, the Nursery School of the North Cyprus which was taken part under the control of the health authority has transfered to the universities at the North Cyprus. Today, there are to many nursery schools at the both side of the Cyprus, which have rised from those curses but have managed to reach academic point of view of the edecuation.