Author(s): G├╝ven D?N├ç
This article examines Cyprus Leper Farm founded at the end of the 1820s or beginning of the 1830s between 1878 and 1955
during the British Period. Britain took over Cyprus with the agreement of the Ottoman government in 1878. Since beginning of the
colonial period many improvements were carried out on health systems. British administration in Cyprus enacted two laws dated 1891
and 1929 regarding leprosy. The laws regulated the management of the Farm, and the Chief Medical Officer appointed by the
Government. The British Government in Cyprus aimed to decrease the population of the Farm, and to treat the patients, and so
provided it with suitable conditions such as bread, water, washing, a church and a mosque. The British administration succeeded in
fighting with leprosy. After the remedial treatment of leprosy, the Cyprus Leper Farm was closed in 1955.